Monday, July 4, 2011

Happy 4th of July!


Our first 4th of July as Californians!We started out our weekend with a Saturday trip to South Lake Tahoe. We had yet to go to the lake and thought we would check it out. It was full of campers and boaters. The drive getting there was completely different in the summer vs. the winter. Here are some of the sights...

When ate lunch at the lake and the girls got to play at the beach for a little bit. Ellison again going for a taste of sand. We then headed over to Heavenly Village and thought we would be able to take the gondola up to the top for a grand view. What we did not expect for the ticket salesman to tell us, was that we were not dressed for the occasion. At the top they had tubing in the snow and recommended more winter gear than flip flops and sundresses. Note to self: Summer in Tahoe is different than Summer anywhere else. Yes, those are snow capped mountains behind the girls. You can not make a better backdrop!

Sunday, Emma and I went to her friend Melodie's house for a swimming play date. We got our first meeting with two hens. Melodie's family has two hens that they raise in their backyard; Pac-man and Beauty. They were very friendly and also gave us a fresh egg to bring home. I had no idea that hens lay one egg a day in the spring and summer months. I told Dave, I now understand the phrase" what came first .... the chicken or the egg?" Really... which was it?

After Ellison went to bed, Dave, Emma and I watched the fireworks from the Town Center on our balcony. It was perfect! Not quite the fireworks show from Uncle Dan's old place but pretty good for us! A glass of wine, Emma in her PJs spreading her "magic rainbows" with her wand and all three of enjoying the view from our house!
Our actual 4th was spent on Folsom lake, a 15 minute drive from our house, with the Gardens. They were kind enough to invite us out for a day on the lake, and we had a blast! Emma went tubing, Duckers went skiing and I even got spun around the lake on the tube. Surprisingly, Ellison loved it, especially when we would start going fast.
I am now trying to put a bug in Dave's ear for a boat ( not sure that I will ever convince him, maybe a wave runner first).
It was a great weekend and I am so happy that I got to spend it with my family discovering new things that California has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment