Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Monterey

Hello Monterey!!!!! Can you say GORGEOUS!

The Losinwalds decided to head to Monterey, California for a little Spring Break 2011 trip. We were not expecting what we encountered. It is breathtaking and quaint. I still can not believe that all of this is in the USA. I feel like I am in a foreign country when we visit some of these places.

As far as our trip..... Day 1. We made it to our hotel, The Monterey Hotel, which is located right on Cannery Row and the water. It was perfect because we parked the car and did not have to get in again until we were heading home.



Our hotel in the background
Emma made us op and take pause for her "dance performance". There was music playing and she busted out some really good moves!
The fountain in the courtyard of our hotel

We decided to check out Old Fisherman's Wharf. On our walk there we spotted seals and sea otters in the marina. You could also hear the seals barking for some fish.
This picture reminds of the days I was in GA, after Ellison was born, and I would take a walk every night with the kids and Gretta. How I managed all of that I still have no idea.
Seals sun bathing
Duckers and Emma on the beach

While at the Wharf, Emma decided to have her face painted....Purple Pirate style, of course!
There were plenty of trinket shops (or as I like to call them, Shops for suckers like Dave) where you can buy cheesy souvenirs. We left with a purple Ninja sword. Go Figure! They also had clam chowder on every corner with samples for you to try. Dave thought he was at Costco on Sample Saturday! But at the end of the wharf was the "bird man". Both Girls got a little taste!


Ellison taking a little snooze with Nelda

Day 2 we made plans for a trip to the Aquarium. I was a little worried that it would not live up to our expectations of an Aquarium because we were so spoiled from the one in GA. But we were all surprised. They offered so many things that we have not seen before that are indigenous to CA. First was the large Kelp Forrest tank. These kelp forest can be seen just outside the Aquarium in the bay.


Nemo, are you in there?


Please note that I do wash my children everyday. Emma just insisted that I keep the pirate face on for one more day. So fair warning, she looks a like a partial purple pirate!


Emma thought this bird was hilarious and wanted a picture with it. Thank goodness it did not poop on her head!


After the Aquarium, Dave and Ellison went to take a nap and Emma and I hit the beach. I use the term beach loosely. It is not the white sand you find in Destin or even the nice temperature of the Atlantic. It is the gritty Pacific Beach with cold water on your toes. They do have rocks for the Emma to climb and check out the tide pools. So that is what we did.


After a day of fun, it was Giant margarita time for Dave!!! Seriously as big as his head!
I am not a professional photographer, but I do believe I got the next photo contest winner shot of Ellison at the Ghiradelli chocolate shoppe!

We now call this look "the face". She will make this face on command!


Day 3, I had to work in the morning, so Dave and the kids went to Dennis the Menace Park. Apparently, the creator of the cartoon Dennis the Menace is from Monterey and he donated funds for this amazing park. If you are ever here with kids you need to stop and check it out.
Day 3 was also Day3 of Pirate Emma minus the face painting, but we did manage to pick up some pirate loot in one of the "Shops for Suckers".


We also decided to do something that the Big Kid in the family wanted to do.... 13 mile drive! The morning is not the best time of day to go but we had no other choice. We needed to get home and I had another hospital to get to. So we hope to come back, just Dave and I and see it again. We happen to get a look at The Lone Cypress near Pebble Beach and have lunch by the 18th green. No to shabby!!!!


Duckers and Ellison by the 18th green. Definitely a keeper!


Could they look any more alike?


We had a great trip and now Emma wants to go back this summer..... We"ll see. We still have a lot of California to cover.

No comments:

Post a Comment